Saturday, September 25, 2010

Creative Stiches & Crafting Alive Show - Calgary 2010

WOW! It's been years since I went to one! I think the last time I went was in 1998! Have quilting things/talents/supplies/tools/etc. changed! I took in a couple of classes -- some not so great due to sound quality issues and standing room only -- and then a couple that were absolutely fantastic! Starting over again with quilting, I feel like such an amateur. When I look at some of the creative art out there it amazes me! I can only hope that I can become as good as some of you out there (or I should say MOST of you!)

I have enjoyed reading the "quilting blogs" and finding new ideas. I often wonder and stare at some of the creations and say "WOW! I would have NEVER thought of those combinations!" It has been a wonderful journey that I hope will grow with me as I grow even older yet. So much of my "life" have revolved around my kids, then it was divorce, then it was SURVIVAL, and then finally a "settling down" where I can finally take a breath and say, "OK Margo, it's time for you and for what YOU want to do!"

Ok, ok, I digress -- the show! I didn't find anything really "new", but did check out some of the sewing machines. I found the Bernina dealers were very busy talking to their friends rather than "selling". The Husqvarna Viking reps were amazing and took the time to explain, demo and allow me the time that I needed to ask my questions. Throughout the whole show, I would say they were most personable, customer friendly and were willing to go the extra step for a sale. The other reps (Janome, Bernina) were not so willing. As I have been looking for a machine, I'm thinking the Husqvarna is in the running.

Longarm quilters were there as well. Matt Sparrow -- thanks for information. You took the time to talk to me rather than ignore me like your counterparts. The Tin Lizzie ladies were great as well and took the time to give me their feedback on why they liked their machine. I know the differences between the two machines are huge, but at least I have a starting point of the things to look for when I'm ready to set up for myself. For now, I'll be taking my larger items to my longarm quilter. I have been to the trade shows with Chef, so I do know that sales are number one and seeking out the sales can be a challenge. To be fair, some of those stores that didn't seem to care, I walked by on more than one occasion, lingered a bit fingering the fabrics and also smiling and saying "hello". I work in a business where customer service is very high on the list for return sales -- so with that, I know which quilting shops I would rather spend my dollar at and will drive the extra miles to go past your store to the one that valued me as a customer.

I came home with yet MORE fabric for my stash and some great little items that you can see! I can barely wait to break them all in! I have a list of quilt shops that will have my business from now on and have met some wonderful people. Will I go again next year? You bet -- with the Chef in tow!

Have a great day everyone!
I think I'm going to go hide in my studio!

Margo

No comments: