Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas Tree Skirt


This skirt was made at the Fall Retreat in October 2014 - it has taken almost a year and a half to finish. Of course the supervisor was there every step of the way.


The quilting took about 1 week. I could only manage one round at a time before I had to quit with my hand. Although my hands were flat all the time, my CRPS from my surgery in July was causing me great pain.

It took another two weeks to stitch the back down. I manage to do about 8  inches or so at a time before I had to put it down for the next day. Frustrating, and a tearful journey.   Chef kept on encouraging me and told me that this condition is not forever. What I worry the most about as a quilter is losing the loss of my hands and my eyesight. I can't even type for longer than 10 minutes at a time before the pain prevents me from moving my fingers anymore. I am still off work and I do very little. Chef is doing my hair -- but hey! He does a fantastic ponytail and I CAN pull my pants up by myself finally!
 Supervisor....
 Of course he had to take a wayyyyyyyyyy closer look to make sure I was doing it right! What will I do when he's gone? He's 15 now! Can you believe it!
 The end product under the tree. Finally replacing the old felt one that was used for 30+ years!
 The reverse side is fun too!


 It will be some time before I am back at the machine an into my 'normal' again! Thank you all for your emails and encouragement! I have love reading them all! I am hoping the neurologist will be able to find a solution to all this and stop the relentless pain. I am now stoned on morphine and sit gazing at the tree. If this is my last project -- let it be a joyous one!


Merry Christmas one and all! I wish you all the joys of the season and a fabulous New Year to you all!

Margo

4 comments:

MB said...

The tree skirt looks great. I love the present fabric on the back.

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely amazing especially noticeable because we went minimalist with decorating the house so this skirt really does make a bold festive statement. I am amazed and proud of my very talented, warm and kind woman.
Chef

Susan said...

Your tree skirt is absolutely beautiful Margo! Merry Christmas to you and Murray! I hope you had a wonderful day! I'm sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain. It sounds like a slow healing process and an exercise in patience �� Love you!

Margo said...

Thanks Susan! All the best to the both of you and have a wonderful New Year!