Saturday, April 16, 2016

East Coast Quilt - WIP

Here is a project I have had hidden in my drawer for sometime. I think it goes back to 2011- 2012.
 
I have quite a few friends from the east coast and they always had these amazing quilts with hand drawn pictures of things that reminded them of home. I have always admired the hard work and thought it took to draw out all the pictures. Being one who likes a challenge I thought I would try my hand at creating one of these East Coast Quilts.
 
Sadly I was not blessed with the ability to draw, the extent of my drawing skills is limited to stick men. I cannot take credit for the designs below. I found east coast inspired pictures online and used them as my template for the blocks. I taped the outline of the pictures to the window and placed my blank block over top. I then traced the picture with a fine pencil and coloured it in as saw fit with crayons.
 
To set the newly coloured block I placed a scarp piece on fabric over top the block and heat set the crayon design with the iron. The excess wax from the crayons transferred to the scarp piece of fabric and I was left with a nicely set picture block.
 
Below are some of the blocks I have done to date. I think they look half decent! When they are all sewn together with a nice tartan fabric in between I think it look great.
 
The quilt will be comprised of (12) 12" x 12" blocks - (3) across (4) down with tartan fabric for the sashing and borders.
 
I have (9) blocks down and only 3 more to go. So close to the finish line ... with that said it may take a couple more years ha-ha.

 

 







Until next time
-The Youngest -
 
Don't forget to leave a comment!

5 comments:

Margo said...

I haven't seen your blocks! They look great! Pretty artsy! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Anonymous said...

Those are great blocks! I like the fabric idea. Could get an impressionist bit with a block of muslin, maybe. In class, my 6th graders just used brown grocery sacks!

MB said...

I have three more blocks to go, a block a year haha. The muslin worked great, I like the idea of the brown grocery sacks. Keep it simple, those are the projects that always seem to turn out the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I love this idea for a quilt. Would love to see the finished quilt. I am an east coaster living in the west. Also, a member of Nibble Thimbles.
Thanks
Shelley

MB said...

I have been slowly working at completing my WIP quilts, hopefully I get to this one soon, I think it would be a great quilt to have in our trailer for camping.
-The Youngest