Thursday, June 19, 2014

Flower Wednesday.....er..... Thursday

I seriously do try to make it for Wednesday! These are the flowers I have been working on! Yesterday I came down with a horrid migraine that kept me in bed all day.....so Flower Wednesday is legitimately delayed a day! Now I can go and check out the rest o the flowers! Hope you all have a great gardening week next week!

Tigger the Supervisor, is watching over me as I spend my time sewing some not-so-quilty things! But I have a wonderful excuse...I'm going to be a GREAT AUNT! So exciting for my niece expecting her first wee one! We know it's a girl .. We already have Little Man in the family, so frilly little things are going to be fun! 

We all know that those wee one's spit up -- so I got a bunch of  cloths sewn up for those dribbles and spit ups that wee one's have. Hopefully the new parents will put these to good use when needed! The best would be to wear them out because then I know it was a good idea to sew! I was looking for those gauzy Gerber pre-fold diapers, but nowhere in Calgary were they to be found. I finally found some regular square fleece diapers that I doubled and then turned inside out and added the great fabric. They are thick and soft enough to do the job! I pre-washed the fabrics to make sure that once they go through the wash, they will stay the same size, if not softer and softer every time! |It was so easy to make and the end product looks nice!

I have a cradle that I have kept from Middle Son when he was born. I have loaned it out many times with the rule that anyone that borrowed it must put the child's name on the bottom of the cradle along with the date of their birth. So far, 7 babies have gone through it. I have offered it to my Niece and she said she would love to use it. It's been checked over and the bolts are all up to date. The spindles are fine and not too far apart and will be a great little bed until wee one grows into her crib. I made a new bumper pad that is much brighter than the plain white bumper pads. The white ones are great and just need new ribbons to replace the old one. I'll send that along as well in case she needs to put the bumper pads through a wash. Remember those explosive diapers and the spit ups? ha ha! Well, it always is great to have a "spare"! I made a couple of sheets to go as well, so it will always be fresh for the wee one!

This is one project that I bought double-fold bias tape for. I do not like it! The end result is "done", but certainly not as nice as if I would have attached to the front and sewn to the back. It just goes to show that I really don't like "sewing" the binding all at one time. I really prefer taking the time to sew it on the front by machine and then pulling to the back to hand-sew.It does in a pinch, but if I had to do it all over again, I would take my time. This project is a bit of a rush as we are delivering the cradle tomorrow! Baby is due "any day", so I am sure that once my Niece has it in the house, she will be resting a bit easier knowing that everything is in it's place!

So, all in all, it's been a busy week with sewing! Although not quilting, it certainly has been productive!

Stay tuned as I am approaching my 100th post! I will be hosting a giveaway to my readers for putting up with me and reading along!

Happy Quilting everyone! What have you all been up to?

Margo

1 comment:

Karen said...

A wonderful great aunt you are and I love Tigger the Supervisor. Beautiful collection of flowers!