Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Fabric!

Happy Easter everyone! I realize that my tastes are in the "Old School" with traditional blocks and lighter colors. I've been admiring all those quilts with solid colors. Then I get scared and walk away from them because my free motion quilting isn't great. My mind goes to, "Sure, a solid color will show all my mistakes that much MORE!" In order to grow, and learn, I know I have to go outside of my comfort zone -- so solids here we come!


I have a couple of favorite fabric shops that I order online from because their prices are great. My most favorite is Pink Chalk Fabrics. They have a great selection and their service is great! Although ordering online is a new experience to me, Pink Chalk makes the process so simple!


My "yellow" stash was sadly lacking, so I found some great Kona cottons -- buttercup, lemon, canary, papaya and then I found a great combo by Martha Negley from the Autumn Medley - Twig Citrus.

The stash needed some more solids. Pink Chalk has a great selection to choose from. I just randomly picked a few and ended up with Chicopee Solids and of course a Kona cotton starter pack. I also bought a few yards of jet black Robert Kaufman Kona cotton. You can always use a shot of black (or at least that's what I've been seeing!)



Last night I was feeling guilty about not spending any time in the studio (S T U D I O sounds sooooo much better than sewing room! lol) I was browsing on the net and found a super simple block to do! Three seams -- that's it! The one on the right is with 5" charm squares. The left is with 10" layer cake squares. Each block takes ten (10!) minutes! With the 10" blocks in an hour and a half I can get a lap size done! What a super simple block! OK....so in all fairness, it's a little more than 10 minutes because I folded down the seams on the centre block so it's a mock cathedral block. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM I love blocks that make it look like you worked REALLY HARD!

Try it out and let me know if you like it!

Oh....and don't forget the giveaway a couple of posts back. It's a little one, but I would sure like to find a home for it!

Happy Quilting!

No comments: