Sunday, March 3, 2013

Motivation - Part 2

So this is the quilt in the works. I think I finally figured out where my lack of motivation has gone -- despite being physically tired from work. (That's being checked out by the doc). I am beginning to think I have been dragging my feet on this project because it's been so long in the works. I had a passion for it when "Lady Liberty Goes to Hawaii" was first printed many years ago. My daughter, the oldest, also fell in love with it and insisted that it become hers. It was meant as a wall hanging, but then I had to modify it so it would fit a queen size bed. Now that in itself is not so bad, but the pattern iteself...all those little 6 1/2 " squares pieced with perfect points. I can't even tell you how many times I ripped out points only to start over again. Just the thought of doing these squares over and over again for it to fit the top of a queen size literally terrified me. I am one of those people with OCD -- not that they diagnosed me, but I am an "A" type personality. I like things "just so". I like everything in it's place. Now along with that, I have a hard time starting a new project because I feel terrible guilt over projects that are not completed. Maybe it's from my past marriage where quilting was not supported at all. I got the "are you doing that AGAIN?", "Why are you buying fabric, cutting it up and only putting it together again?" -- Joking aside, he was serious and was furious about "wasting his money". I was a stay-at-home mom working part time. I digress..... needless to say, I think it's the fact that there is a project there that I brought from my past that I am trying to complete now. It brings back past memories, good and bad. Every little piece of this quilt has fabric that has a "story" and with it, memories. It has been a long time coming to fruition. The Chef says it is "amazing" and compliments me and see's the beauty of the whole thing. He's been the one encouraging me to continue and doesn't say a word when I start a new project. He doesn't remind me of the one's that are sitting in progress for another day. He looks at it all a little wide-eyed and says that he's so proud of my creativity.  So, I plug along.....

No comments: