Saturday, June 17, 2017

Heritage Park Quilt Festival 2O17 - QUILTER OF DISTINCTION Trudy Cowan

Just a Note: This was supposed to be posted weeks ago ... forgot to hit the "Publish" button 
Opppps, my bad - [The Youngest]


Wow! Lots to show and tell! I'll start [Quilting Momma]! We had the wonderful opportunity of meeting Trudy Cowan! Now let you give you MY take on why I believe she is the Quilter of Distinction! 

1. She is personable and loves talking quilts!
2. She talks to you like you've been a friend for years and shares her journey with you!
3. She welcomes you with open arms and encourages you to ask questions!
4. I don't think she even knows what "Quilt Police" means! ha ha!
5. she is AWE-INSPIRING! [I secretly want to have her talents!]

Here's Trudy.....isn't she beautiful! and her quilt is too!
I asked her to pose in front of her favorite quilt! Now every quilt in there was stunning, so she suggested a photo in front of the room as you enter. It is 3D and there are no words to describe how amazing it is! The detail just blows you away! You want to reach out and touch [don't worry! I did NOT touch....but I wanted to just to see how it was done!] You would laugh as I was inches away looking at the details. Most of the time the expression on my face displayed pure awe! 

The shock? Take a look at this quilt..... now look at the photo below:

the 'branches' are all thread! Honest to goodness it looks like the leaves/needles were picked and freshly plunked on the quilt! Believe me it's all fibre! 

The Train quilt photo does NOT show the true beauty of this piece. The steam is layers of fabric, tulle and organza! It seems as though the steam and snow is coming right off the quilt! Just amazing! She based this quilt on a photo that she took at Heritage Park with the REAL live deal! It's just incredible!

Trudy read an article about the Smoke Jumpers....those firefighters that parachute into the line of fire to battle these blazes! You can feel the flames coming off this piece! Hearing Trudy talk about it to us made us feel like we were right there in the plane waiting for them to jump!

I could have spent the whole afternoon talking with her! Trudy Cowan....thank you so much for your time and patience with us as we drilled you with questions! You are truly an amazing artist extraordinaire! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PS..... Trudy will have a book coming out in the next year or two that she is illustrating with quilts! It's all about a little grey mouse....who lives in a world quite drab......until she walks into a quilt shop!!! We got to see some of the works in progress! Let's just say you HAVE TO GET HER BOOK!!!! I can hardly wait to share it with the wee one's in our family!

Cheers!
Happy Quilting!
Margo
[aka. Quilting Momma]


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope when her book comes out that I discover it. She sounds like an amazing woman and an amazing quilter. Lucky you for getting to spend time with her personally.

Margo said...

Me too! She is an amazing lady and so willing to take time out of her day to talk to us. We asked her tons of questions! I so wish she would teach a class! I would love to be there!