Thursday, March 19, 2015

WARNING -- GRAPHIC CONTENT

Went and saw the surgeon yesterday. I've had 4 injections and no long term relief. I am now booked in for surgery. WARNING -- GRAPHIC VIDEO ... skip over if you don't want to see it.



I am still doing what I can with quilting! I go to a retreat next week and will take it as easy as I can. The surgery will result in "no more pain!" which I am very happy about. I have not been able to do any hand stitching without pain. It's apparently a simple two-hour surgery, Day Surgery that is, and I'll be able to come home.

The waiting list is about 3-4 months, or they will put me in on a cancellation. I am quite excited about it and am so happy that they can do a "fix" that will result in no continued disability. I'm still quilting with my splint, but of course it is very short lived. Maybe a block or two and then I have to pack it in for a day! Forget about cutting -- thank heavens I have my Accuquilt - but you know it's not the be all end all to what I need. I have done cutting a little bit at a time so I don't over-tax my hand. I'm typing all day, so by the end of the day, I really don't do too much when it comes to my quilting -- BUT every little bit counts and may look like a LOT -- reality, it's just a bit at a time!

You'd all laugh. I brought in one of my hexagon flowers to him yesterday:

 I told him how I had to press down the edges.

Then I showed him how I had to hold them together  and whip-stitch them together.
I asked him,
 "After this surgery, will I be able to do this?" 
Chef looked at me,and then asked more questions about the surgery - God Bless him!
-- before the surgeon answered Chef the surgeon looked at me and said, "Absolutely!" 
That's all I needed to hear!

So if anyone out there has had this surgery - I would love to hear from  you! The good, the bad, the ugly. 

Happy Quilting all!
Margo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, the surgery was not too bad at all. Only 24 hours of pain medication then I got by with ibuprofen. The recovery time was a little aggravating but the result is I can cut, piece and applique with full mobility again. I do use one of the quilt ruler cutters as much as possible because too much use of a rotary cutter will lead too some pain the next day. My surgeon did not put me in a cast after the bandages came off in 10 days, instead using a removable splint. The velcro on the splint grabbed my clothes until i took one of my husbands socks, cut off the foot part and slipped the tube over the splint. I figured out how to do some sewing at the machine to keep me occupied. Good luck.

Margo said...

Thanks for your comments. Makes me feel a bit better. I'm terrified of the nerve block - but I have to get mobility! I have not been able to do any sewing for longer than 10 minutes, then my hand is sore for days. The tip about your husbands sock is brilliant! I cannot tell you how many tops I've ruined with my splint and the velcro catching on them! Here comes a fix for that! Little one will be updating everyone after my surgery. Only one more week!